KL Stutthof concentration camp In the period from September 2, 1939 to May 9, 1945 in Stutthof there was a German concentration camp. Actually throughout the whole of World War II. It will be founded on September 2, the day after the outbreak of World War II, liberated the day after the end of World War II. The first transport is a group of Poles from Gdańsk. About 110,000 prisoners were detained in the camp from 25 countries, the most Poles, Jews and Russians, of which 65,000 were killed. Today, in the place of the former camp, there is a Museum commemorating its victims. We start sightseeing from the narrow-gauge railway stop. It is located near the main entrance to the Stutthof Museum area on the main road. It was the narrow gauge railway that was the main means of transporting prisoners to this concentration camp. Looking from the queue station side, we see the camp commander’s villa. It was built by prisoners of the camp around 1941 on the site of a former forester’s lodge. Two other KL Stutthof commandants lived in it together with their families: Max Pauly until 1942 and Paul Werner Hoppe until 1945. Walking down the Museum Street we head towards the main entrance to the museum. Along the way, we come across a small building in which the camp kennel was located. There were 20 purebred dogs in the camp: German Shepherds, boxers, schnauzers. They were used as protective and tracking dogs. The lightest dog weighed more than 26 kg in prison. We are standing in front of the main gate. Directly behind her stretched the brick buildings of the administrative part of KL Stutthof. The SS guardhouse was located at the main entrance to the camp. Every entry and exit was controlled at this station. Around 1,100 members of the Waffen SS served at KL Stutthof at one time. In 1944, the camp covered an area of 120 ha. The current area of the museum covers 20 ha. The next building is the headquarters. It was built at the turn of 1940 and 1941 in place of a holiday home and an old people’s home. On the ground floor of the building there was a kitchen for the SS, a casino and a canteen for terraced SS-men. Moving on we are near the main gate of the camp. We pass the barrack, which served for part of the camp’s existence as a canteen for prisoners. Few prisoners, e.g. as a reward could buy stamps, writing paper, toothpaste or some food items. The first room now houses remains from around half a million pairs of shoes taken away from prisoners coming to the camp. In the second room there is an exhibition: Blessed martyrs of the Stutthof camp. The exhibition contains souvenirs, reports about prisoners, clergy, priests: Bronisław Komorowski, Franciszek Rogaczewski, Marian Górecki, Władysław Demski, sister to Julia Stanisława Rodzińska and many others who died for promoting faith and Polish patriotism. In 1999, they were elevated as blessed by Pope John Paul II. Another building is a remnant of some of the camp administration offices. New prisoners were registered here, which preceded many hours of standing under the barrack regardless of weather conditions and waiting for admission to the office. One way of greeting at the camp was to measure 25 strokes with a whip on a special stool called a goat. 6 barrack rooms were occupied by special cells called bunkers. The bunker penalty was imposed for breaking the camp regulations e.g. escape attempts, food smuggling, smoking while working or laziness. It consisted of keeping a prisoner of bread and water in this cramped room for several or even several days. For many of them, staying in the bunker ended in death. We are now standing at the gate of death. A column of newly arrived prisoners standing in front of her she was waiting for admission to the camp. After a speech from one of the SS officers personal belongings were taken from them, humiliating medical examinations were carried out, bath combined with disinfection. About 110,000 prisoners crossed the camp gate, most of them, about 65,000, were never released. On the way we pass the remains of the former camp kitchen. We are now at blocks VIII and VIIIa. Here, new arrivals (zugang) served quarantine. For a period of up to one month, they became acquainted with the camp conditions and regulations, they learned the drill of the camp, marching, pronounce your own number and commands in German. The block exhibits permanent exhibitions: the Free City of Gdańsk, arrests, the creation and first period of the Stutthof camp existence, SS authorities and crew, stages of expansion of the camp. In the last room we can see a model of the camp, by former prisoner Wacław Lewandowski. After leaving the barrack we head towards the so-called women’s barrack. The first women arrived in Stutthof in June 1940. The barracks contain exhibitions showing the conditions in which prisoners existed. In one of the rooms it is worth paying attention to the column in the middle of the room, with the camp numbers carved by the prisoners in it and the dates of detention in Stutthof. In the rooms inside the buildings of the old camp there were craft workshops, working mainly for the needs of the camp: tailor, shoemaker, bodywork, electric, locksmith, blacksmith, carpentry and upholstery and painting workshops. Over time, the scope of work has been expanded. They worked not only for the needs of the camp itself, but also for the German arms industry. A special group of prisoners Totenkomando transported to the morgue corpses, those prisoners who died during the day in hospital or in the camp. There was a morgue here, so-called Totenkammer. The gas chamber was built in mid-1943. Initially, it was used to disinfect prisoners’ clothing. From the end of June 1944 to October 1944 it became a place of execution. It was killed in gas by cyclone B as part of the Sonderbehandlung operation of Jews unable to work, a group of Polish partisans from the Bialystok region, or 77 invalids of Soviet prisoners of war. A characteristic element of the Stutthof camp were narrow-gauge railway wagons. They were used to transport prisoners to the camp, but also to transport building materials, and others used for production in nearby camp workshops. In mid-1944 two wagons were adapted to the role of a mobile gas chamber. Sick and elderly Jews from the stocking Darner commando were killed there. The crematorium was launched at the end of August 1942. In the newly built rooms, executions of sick Jewish women were carried out, they were shot in the back of the head. Ashes from the crematorium furnaces were dumped into a pit dug nearby. At the end of April 1945, the building was partly destroyed by SS men fleeing from the camp. Currently in the crematorium building we have the opportunity to see the following exhibitions: extermination, death march, sea evacuation, liberation and criminals in court. At the entrance to the crematorium is a wooden cross, erected in 1945 by former prisoners of the camp. It was the first commemoration of the victims of the camp at which anniversary celebrations were held. Behind the gas chamber we see another religious element: the star of David. Both symbols identify the majority of camp victims. Leaving the crematorium through the rear exit, we see the gallows. Death sentences were carried out on the camp gallows, which they wanted to hide from other prisoners. The Gestapo in Gdańsk sent information to the camp authorities regarding the sentenced death sentence on a prisoner. After the execution, the body was moved to the crematorium and incinerated. The exact number of victims executed on the gallows could not be determined. “If people become silent, the boulders will cry out” These words are one of several inscriptions placed on the pedestal of the monument in honor of the murdered. The creator of the monument is Wiktor Tołkin. The monument was unveiled on May 12, 1968. The 48-meter horizontal section symbolizes martyrdom. There is a reliquary with ashes of prisoners from the burnt offer. The vertical section, 11 meters high, symbolizes resistance, willingness to survive and the will to win. On the right you can see the remains of German equipment factories. It is a complex of 3 factory halls where prisoners worked. They produced, among others parts for fighter aircraft. In another hall, a group of prisoners dealt in the production and assembly of motorbike parts, machines, equipment for submarine equipment for Kriegsmarine. On the right we pass the area of the New Camp. It was planned in the future that the camp would house at least 100,000 prisoners. Such a huge expansion of the camp did not take place because of the approaching eastern front. However, in the years 1942–43 a part was built, consisting of 30 barracks, that could hold 10,000 prisoners. The camp gardening was established in 1940. Initially it consisted of a small conservatory, and then it was enlarged by three large greenhouses. Grown vegetables and fruits were intended for SS cuisine, and flowers from the conservatory were sold in Gdańsk and nearby towns. The whole area of the camp was surrounded by a double barbed wire fence. The outer row of wires was connected to a high voltage source. Sentinel towers were placed between the wires, at intervals of several dozen meters. In total, there were 25 watchtowers in the camp. Each of them was guarded by a crew of 2 with machine guns. The Judenlager Jewish camp was established at the end of June 1944 as camp number 3. It was intended for about 16,000 Jewish women, it occupied 10 barracks. In two, at the end of September 1944, 40 liaison officers of the Home Army were placed from the Warsaw Uprising. The Jewish camp affected by the typhus epidemic ceased to exist at the end of April 1945, when the barracks were burned by SS men fleeing from the camp. At the turn of 1944 and 1945 during an epidemic of typhus, which broke out in the camp, three field crematoria were created, so-called burnt stacks. “A dead truck was transported from the camp to a large square outside of the barbed wire. There, in a great hurry, a huge pile was laid, the tree was poured with tar and thus one thousand corpses were burned one night. ” In January 1945, this pile burned almost every third night. We honor the victims of this German Nazi camp. Never again, never again war, never again such barbarism!